Subject: Re: FLASH: (Sometimes Controversial) site check
From: TyPOZ
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 16:02:28 +0100

In a message dated 5/27/00 10:49:14 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
AndrewScratchataol [dot] com writes:

<< http://198.250.176.230/development/frontpage.html >>

Andrew:

In terms of your design, I love it. You are an excellent technician. Then
again, I'm not interested in anthrax. I just liked watching the animations.
Your color scheme works well because you are talking about something
depressing and horrific. Loved the slamming doors. It's a good metaphor for a
disease that has you in it's grip or has you trapped.

Some things to think about, though. You have the word FLASH four times on the
front page. You also say, "exciting, highly interactive . . ." when
describing the FLASH part of it. Your FLASH link button at the bottom of the
page is I think a bit too large, although I realize you want it to match the
size of the other buttons. I really think it looks a bit too much like an
advertisement for the product we all love. You are not trying to sell FLASH
to your audience, you are trying to talk about anthrax. I think Macromedia
will love your site.

For your next project try to think about your audience and the subject matter
formost and design the site around that. Ask yourself if they are really
sophisticated enough to be interested in seeing and hearing all the wonderful
features FLASH has to offer. Does the light, sound and movement contribute
anything to the message? In choosing the design, think about how it fits in
with the theme and message. What metaphor are you using? Does your design
help the message along? What is the music saying in terms of mood?

I have been reading on this listserv about viewers who find FLASH sites
annoying. That surprised me at first. I didn't understand how anyone could
not like such a site. But I am beginning to understand that there are
unenlightened people out there who just want the facts. Pity.

Virginia

flasher is generously supported by...
World Animation Celebration - Big Internet Animation Pow Wow Discount Offer

Register before May 25 mention flasher and save 25%!! www.wacfest.com

Be discovered, get a job or have your web series picked up. A big talent search for Shockwave
and Flash animators is happening May 30-June 4 in Hollywood. Featuring Rob Burgess, Matt
Groening, Brad Bird and more. www.wacfest.com