Subject: Re: FLASH: More text field scrolling questions
From: Mark Sheppard
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 01:51:04 +0100

Ok I see what you are saying here, I have used placeholder MCs before.
But do i then use a tell target to pass the variables on to the textfield?

how to pass
the variable "content.scroll" = content.scroll + 1 on to where it is
interpreted.

On (Press, Drag Over, Drag Out)
Begin Tell Target ("news page")
Set Variable: "clicks" = clicks + 1
If (content.scroll < content.maxscroll)
Set Variable: "content.scroll" = content.scroll + 1
End If
End Tell Target
End On

If so, couldn't the same thing be done in theform it sits now
i.e. Begin Tell Target ("_level1")

Please excuse me for being so dense I"ve never done any type of programming
at all before.
Mark Sheppard
aka Zachnefein
zach29atcolumbus [dot] rr [dot] com

> Hi Mark,
>
> First you should load your "news page" into a placeHolder MC, this can be
> blank MC (say with a name like "newsPage"), remember that the "news page"
> MC's top left corner will load into the center of the blank "newsPage"
> placeHolder.
> Now you have a easy path to follow for Tell Target commands.
>

> Then you load your text into the MC "newsPage".
>
> ie. Load Variables ("news.txt", "newsPage")
>

> As for variable text file names, do this:
>
> Set Variable "whichNews"=1
> Load Variables ("news"&whichNews&".txt", "newsPage")
>
> making sure that you have the URL field set to be an Expression.
>
> Hope this works for you.
>
> Robert
>

> on 30/5/00 7:21 AM, Mark Sheppard at zach29atcolumbus [dot] rr [dot] com wrote:
>
> > I have set up a scrollable text field also , which is importing from a
text
> > file. (tut. on Mooks)
> >
> > The problem I am running into is that I want to use continuous feedback
> > buttons to control it, and don't know how to pass the variable "up?"a
level
> > from the MC that acts as the button.
> >
> > I have the main time line and a "news page" that is loading into level 1
> > with the textfield.
> > Then two MCs which are each 4 frames with 2 layers containing the
buttons.
> > Every other frame has a button with :
> > *MC up arrow:
> >
> > On (Press, Drag Over, Drag Out)
> > Set Variable: "clicks" = clicks + 1
> > If (content.scroll < content.maxscroll)
> > Set Variable: "content.scroll" = content.scroll + 1
> > End If
> > End On
> >
> > Also the variable "clicks" is used to set the text field back to line
one
> > when loading new text files (old news) so that variable also needs to be
> > sent . (This works ok on a plain button so far)
> > To load a new text file the button action is:
> >
> > On (Release)
> > Set Variable: "content.scroll" = content.scroll -clicks
> > Load Variables ("news.txt", 1)
> > End On
> >
> > Another question is, is it possible to have the text file to be loaded
set
> > as a variable so I can have one button to load subsequently older news?
i.e.
> > news1.txt news2.txt news3.txt.
> >
> > Actually it would be really cool to have these listed in reverse order
so
> > the end client could just rename the current news to
> > news5.txt if news.txt 1,2&3 allready existed.
> >
> > I am definatley new to actionscripting, and sometimes it really feels
like
> > my head is about to explode : )
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> > Mark Sheppard

flasher is generously supported by...
World Animation Celebration - Big Internet Animation Pow Wow Discount Offer

Register before May 25 mention flasher and save 25%!! www.wacfest.com

Be discovered, get a job or have your web series picked up. A big talent search for Shockwave
and Flash animators is happening May 30-June 4 in Hollywood. Featuring Rob Burgess, Matt
Groening, Brad Bird and more. www.wacfest.com