From: Marc Hoffman
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 1998 19:24:13 +0000 (GMT)

At 12:30 PM 11/4/98 -0600, you wrote:
>I've noticed a definite shift in the tone and content of the messages being
>posted to this list recently and I don't find it very encouraging.

Well, I agree it can be a bit annoying to read the same rudimentary
question three times in a week. But I don't want this list to appear
closed to beginners (or to intermediate developers who have hit a stuck
spot). And although I have learned a lot from the manual, I don't think
it's always written well enough or in-depth enough for my needs, and it
even has mistakes (I'm thinking of how long it took me to discover --on
this list!-- that you need an underscore in targeting movie levels).

I find it reinforces my own thinking and knowledge to figure out how to
answer a problem as clearly and simply as possible. I do it for enjoyment,
and for the sake of contributing to someone else's learning. This is an
ethic that I see often on the Web and one that I am personally interested
in fostering as much as possible. In a world that can be highly
competitive and isolating, it's nice to find places such as this list where
generosity is the prevailing value.

I thank people like John C. and Colin who post efficient replies to basic
questions by including links to information resources. Wish I were more
organized in that respect; it's one way to help folks without
reconstructing the same answer week after week.

I'm not trying to come across as a saint; I get frustrated, too, and
occasionally I wonder how much longer this list will be useful to me. But
it continues to be helpful, and has forged some good relationships for me,
too. So my vote is for patience and cooperation.

Marc Hoffman

View my Flash3 work: <http://www.jps.net/dartfrog/sampler>.
Play a virtual marimba: <http://www.jps.net/dartfrog>.
Find out where my band performs: <http://www.jps.net/dartfrog/littlebird>.
Complain about self-promoting email signatures:
<marchofatjps [dot] net (subject: complaint) (mailto:marchofatjps [dot] net?subject=complaint)>