Subject: Re: FLASH: Copyright issues: a proposal
From: Marc Hoffman
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 1998 03:30:30 +0000 (GMT)

At 10:01 PM 11/4/98 +0000, you wrote:
>Flashers,
>
>This is an idea I've been playing around with for some time now, and
>recent posts on this list motivated me to pass this on to you.
>First of all a bit of background. Those that have been on the list
>longer might remember discussions regarding copyright issues over swf
>files and how the protect key was a good/bad thing. Now one thing with
>swf files is that they do not carry a copyright signature (unless it's
>included/disguised in the movie like some of us do), swt files are
>different of course, they include some encrypted info.
>So what I would like to have feedback on is if you would find the
>inclusion of a author information field in the swf file useful.
>Implementing such a feature is quite simple, define a TagID for it in
>the range 512/1023 and define it's contents, then have a simple
>programme append that info to the swf file. As players are required to
>disregard TagID's they do not understand, this will not impact on the
>swf file's streaming and if it's positioned at the end of the swf file
>then we would have minimal impact.
>Well what do you think ? Would something like this be useful ?

I did not follow all the technical detail, but this seems like an excellent
proposal. Could it be implemented easily by someone not used to writing
the code you mention?

Marc Hoffman

View my Flash3 work: <http://www.jps.net/dartfrog/sampler>.
Play a virtual marimba: <http://www.jps.net/dartfrog>.
Find out where my band performs: <http://www.jps.net/dartfrog/littlebird>.
Complain about self-promoting email signatures:
<marchofatjps [dot] net (subject: complaint) (mailto:marchofatjps [dot] net?subject=complaint)>