Subject: Re: FLASH: Flash Detection question
From: Colin Moock
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 1998 16:13:07 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Robert,
The code you found at MM probably isn't thorough enough for your
requirements. A few things to know:

1) You can't detect the plug-in on IE.
but
2) IE installs the ActiveX player automatically on all but Macs and
Windows 3.1.

Therefore, most detection scripts just let non-mac/non-win31 IE users
through to the flash content knowing that the browser will get the
player for the user. It's not seamless, though: IE will warn the user
about what's going on. Worse, some older versions of IE had a security
bug (Authenticode problems) that prevented the autoinstall process from
happening.

and
3) Some users have JavaScript turned off or have a browser without
JavaScript. The script below doesn't account for that. I use a META
Refresh to send non-javascript users to a page that explains what's
going on.

Anyway, without going into anymore detail about the various detection
issues, you should understand that there is no way to accurately
redirect all users to either Flash content or non-Flash content
depending on their possession of the plug-in. Certain users will
simply have to make a choice, unless you make it for them. For
instance, you could send all Mac users of IE to the non-Flash site, but
some of those users will actually have Flash installed. They'll never
see your Flash site, but on the other hand, unless you tell them,
they'll never know you have one.

I think the most transparent approach for you would be this:
1) Send all users that definitely have Flash to your Flash site.
2) Send everyone else to your non-Flash site.
3) On your non-Flash site, include a small link to your Flash site.
That way, the users that you can't detect, but that do have Flash, will
have a way to get to your Flash site. Also, this gives your Flash site
some advertising.

My own approach is a bit different. I send the users that I can't
detect to a page telling them I can't detect them, and asking them to
make a choice. I'm not as concerned about keeping the process
transparent as I am about keeping the user informed about what's going
on.

The conclusion?
You won't find a cut'n'paste script that does *exactly* what you want
because it's not just a technical question, it's also a user-interface
question. Once you make your UI decisions, then you can customize a
script to implement them.

You can start with my public-domain detection tutorial at:
http://colinmoock.iceinc.com/webdesign/flash/detection/detect2andup.html

Good luck!
Colin