Subject: FLASH: Linux Plug-in
From: Laura Mollett
Date: Sat, 07 Nov 1998 03:30:47 +0000 (GMT)

After reading the requests for *nix plug-ins for Flash and the MM
response ('the *nix market is too small) and the Halloween documents,
I must say I believe MM is making a big mistake ignoring this
necessary functionality. Yes, the general web surfer audience may
be (I say may as accurate stats are difficult to gain in this market)
primarily windows-based, with a very small percent of unix users.
*However* flash isn't marketed to the general web surfer. The primary
audience is web developers, a much more technologically up-to-date
group. Apache still holds the largest market share for web servers,
and developers are inclined to be very concerned that their products
are useable across the entire market. It is difficult to effectively
address the cross-compatability problems with a plug-in to start with...
although MM has this covered fairly well. I will not consider a product
that does not have both NN and MSIE support (and preferably opera as
well) and a port for both windows and the mac. I really cannot see
how it is reasonable to leave unix out. A full version of the Flash
product itself may not be necessary, but to not have a plug-in makes
is really inexcuseable. Even Microsoft recognizes the long-term credibility
of Linux. It's notgoing away, and lack of a port makes life difficult
for me when my web host is a *nix machine, and my cgi programmer and
several of my site testers commonly use *nix machines.

I want this more than any of the enhancements I have seen suggested
(even though there are many I'd like) for the next version.
Laura Mollett