Subject: Re: FLASH: FPS and times
From: Marc Hoffman
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 17:26:09 +0000 (GMT)

At 02:25 AM 11/10/98 -0800, you wrote:
>I am creating a small movie clip about 320pixels wide by 200 pixels high
>for a site. I want to run it at 20 frames per second. Is this a bad
>idea...it's so ugly and choppy when 12fps.....any ideas? or is it safe to
>keep it 20fps since it's such a small sized dimension file? Suggestions?
>
>I'd like some info on frames per second and optimizing speed and
>etc...anyone have tips?
>
>eriq

hi Eriq,

This is more than an issue of window size; it has to do with how many
pixels are changing at any given time, and what the processor has to do to
display those changes. Some transitions (alpha tweens, for example) take a
bigger hit on processor speed than others. Using symbols and optimizing
your shapes will make things work faster and smoother. If you can post a
URL it would be easier to make concrete suggestions. The ultimate test is
to try it on different machines with different CPUs and video processors.

Marc Hoffman

View my Flash3 work: <http://www.jps.net/dartfrog/sampler>.
Play a virtual marimba: <http://www.jps.net/dartfrog>.
Find out where my band performs: <http://www.jps.net/dartfrog/littlebird>.
Complain about self-promoting email signatures:
<marchofatjps [dot] net (subject: complaint) (mailto:marchofatjps [dot] net?subject=complaint)>