Subject: Re: FLASH: Can it be done?
From: John Croteau
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 23:38:07 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Paul,

> In the flash file I am working on I had an idea but I don't know if it
> can be done. I have an animation running with buttons to get to
> different parts of the animation, blah, blah, blah
> What I want to do is have a help button. This help button would open up
> a text window with different text depending on what place you are at in
> the movie. Does that make sense? Basically, I have several running
> senarios, several scenes within the flash file and I need more text to
> describe what is happening. I don't want to have more scenes and more
> variations, what I want is a way to make something pop-up and go away
> without having to use the timeline.
> is there a way to do it in Flash?
This is an idea use of Movie Clips (pop-up boxes are very easy to
cereate in Flash. We made pop-ups that you click too close, are timed or
even give you menu options.
Unfortunately you are using Scenes which is no problem unless a pop-up
is needed to remain while changing Scenes (because they can't). Also you
would have to create new Instances of Movie Clips for each Scene they
are used in.
You can use a movie loaded with Load Movie instead of a Movie Clip when
using Scenes.

> This is a web demo, so if it can be done by opening up a new window that
> would work also. This may make it more complex and I'm not a javascript
> person, so you'll have to tell me the idiot's version. 8-p
If you want to call an HTML popup box see Colin's article on opening
Windows.
http://www.FlashCentral.com/Tech/Index.htm#Scripting

Need a PC ? -- Computer King --
http://www.crownmall.com/computers/