Subject: Re: FLASH: convert scenes to movie clips
From: John Croteau
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 18:14:26 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Stefan,

> First off, are Movie Clips smaller that Scenes?
No they cost 28 bytes to place, Scenes cost nothing unless there are
carry over Graphics (same with MCs).

> If so I have a Flash site made up of around 15 scenes and want to convert
> those scenes to movie clips.
My typical cost for this would be 450 bytes.
Note, there are efficiencies that you can apply to MCs that you can't
use with Scenes such as placing common elements on a common layer or
bring them in in a separate Movie Clip which can make the final size
easily smaller.

> I've tried to nut it out myself but always get stuck on the same 2 points:
> 1)how do I arrange the MC's on the time line?
If you are going to use them one at a time place them every other frame
and Label those Frames. For instance MC1, MC2 Etc. or Scene1, Scene2.
I place them every other frame so I can add an If Frame is Loaded
rountine easily.

> 2)how do I navigate between MC's?
Make the First frame of each Movie empty with a Stop Action and label of
Park.
Label the second frame Start and start content there.
To quit one MC and go to the next, use either Button or Frame Action:

Begin Tell Target Target: /MC2 (or appropriate Movie Clip Name)
Go to and Play Label: Start
End Tell Target
Go to and Stop Park

Need a PC ? -- Computer King --