Subject: Re: FLASH: Reversing Movie Clips
From: Marc Hoffman
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 06:12:13 +0000 (GMT)

At 10:24 AM 11/18/98 +1000, you wrote:
>I'm just doing some experimenting today to throw a few ideas I have around.
>Currently I have a 500 frame movie clip that basically scolls a raster image
>from right to left.
>
>I'm using Tell Target to start and stop this scrolling effect with buttons,
>but what I would like to do is have another button allow users to scroll the
>image left to right (ie. reverse)

Hi Rob.

Okay, I had to test this to see if it would work, and it does:

Your main movie clip has instance name of action clip. Drop it onto the
main timeline.
Create a clip with an instance name "forward clip". Give it a park frame
(empty, stopped), labeled "Park." Follow this with a few frames each with
the action Tell Target ../action clip Go to next frame. Label the first of
these frames "play." The last of these frames should have an extra action,
"Go To and Play label: Play," so that once this clip leaves the parked
frame it just keeps looping and telling the action clip to move forward a
frame at a time.
Create a similar clip but call it reverse and call its instance "reverse
clip." It has an identical structure to the forward clip except replace
all "Go to next frame" actions with "go to previous frame."
Make a Play button and put it on the main timeline. On rollover it tells
/reverse clip to park itself. It tells /forward clip to go to and play
label:play. On rollout it tells /forward clip to park itself.
Make a Reverse button and put it on the main timeline. On rollover it
tells /forward clip to park itself and tells /reverse clip to go to
label:play and play. On rollout it tells /reverse clip to park itself.
If this doesn't work, I haven't described it accurately. Email me and I'll
send you the Flash file (18k).

Thanks for the challenge. It was fun.

Marc Hoffman

View my Flash3 work: <http://www.jps.net/dartfrog/sampler>.
Play a virtual marimba: <http://www.jps.net/dartfrog>.
Find out where my band performs: <http://www.jps.net/dartfrog/littlebird>.
Complain about self-promoting email signatures:
<marchofatjps [dot] net (subject: complaint) (mailto:marchofatjps [dot] net?subject=complaint)>