Subject: RE: FLASH: Director7 vs. Flash4
From: Harrison, Len
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 23:57:57 GMT

We've spent a fair amount of time working in Director 7 as well as Flash 4.
Flash is preferred for creating buttons (especially animated ones), for its
scalability (Director has some proprietary vector stuff based on Mac
QuickDraw that doesn't read any PC vector format or allow for clipboard
pasting), for its ease of use, particularly by non-programmers, and for its
relatively clean paradigm and comparative stability.

To do most anything useful in Director you need Lingo and the language is a
hodge-podge kluge. It's been through so many revisions, leaving behind bits
and pieces of previous incarnations (but lacking backward compatibility),
that it contains hundreds of commands and inconsistent syntax. The "." based
property & methods of OOP and pseudo-OOP languages works for some commands
but not for others. The documentation is abysmal particularly with respect
to previous versions of Director. I began with Director 5 which shipped with
something like 5 manuals. The current rev ships with 2 small ones. As others
have pointed out, you need xtras to do many things. We've been using the
DataGrip extra for database connectivity, the Buddy API for system calls,
and Glue32 for true Window's api functionality. Even calling a URL requires
an extra (included with Director).

Worst of all is the Flash extra which is the poorest implementation of a
Flash player I've seen. SWF's cannot call SWF's into other levels, some
telltargets fail inexplicably for no known reason, and the bottom line is
that each .swf in a compound flash movie (multiple swfs on multiple levels
at once) must be instantiated as a different cast member. You have to code
the cursor switch for buttons and the only pointing finger supplied within
Director is a Mac cursor, not the Windows version. The result for us has
been multiple coding of simple things which see publication as standalone
.exe's, in Web Browsers, and encapsulated within Director. Fortunately the
flash calls don't cause problems in Director and the FSCommands get ignored
without support code.

For serious programming stuff plus multimedia, the *best* environment I've
seen so far is using Flash for buttons, display, interaction, and vector
animation as an .ocx inside of VB or C++ depending on your programming
background. Add a multimedia control and you have much more functionality
and robustness than you get with Director. The only problem here is that the
Flash .ocx has a dependency chain beginning with geturl.dll and fanning out
from there. This chain is based on IE but is registered as a system upgrade,
which means that if IE is *ever* installed, you will be good to go. Even if
it is uninstalled later, these .dlls remain behind. However, for clients who
are adamantly anti-IE (and we have a few), the .ocx is not a solution, at
least as stands. After spending the past three weeks writing system level
calls to multiple applications in Director, however, we are seriously
looking at what would be involved programmatically (and legally) in
registering the necessary .dll's to make the Flash.ocx work from ground
zero. Two things are painfully clear with Director: you cannot subclass
anything and you cannot modify a window's message queue no matter what xtras
you use.

len harrison (lenhatabtcorp [dot] com)
instructional designer
ABT Corporation