Subject: Re: FLASH: Screensaver
From: Maff
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 01:52:02 GMT

I've just conquered the same problem. I needed a screensaver that fits on a
floppy disk and can be downloaded from the net.

I'd love to use ScreenTime et al, but there's stuff I'm doing that won't
work with it (implementing a little pseudo-server to make the content
dynamic, etc.). Not to mention registering the shareware and dealing with
the client asking what the little "MacSorcery" logo on the setup window is.

I would have liked to write it in Delphi, but there's some problem with the
ActiveX control which Delphi 3 can't handle. So, yeah, I wrote it in VB,
quick and easy, and it works fine. Not being a VB guru, it was only after
I'd done all that that I realised the full install would take up 1.6Mb!

I've just rewritten it in C++ with MFC (nightmare), and it's about 500K
(full install, including static-linked MFC, OCX, etc). Success..

I'm getting the same (?) exception from the Flash ActiveX that caused Delphi
to crash so badly, but that's even happening in the example code Macromedia
provide with Flash. So I gave up on that, it's not causing problems. Love
to know what it is, though.

Maff