Subject: FLASH: Wish list: Enhanced portability of .swfs
From: Harrison, Len
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 20:50:54 GMT

Following sent to flasher list and wish-flash:

Flash currently offers one of the best approaches to animation and
interactivity available today. In the Windows environment, the Flash .ocx is
an extremely powerful control suitable for embedding in environments as
diverse as Powerpoint, C++ or VB applications, and Web browsers.

However, there are two limitations with respect to using .swfs outside of
Web or the relatively narrow functionality of standalone players:

1) The .ocx, activeX control for Windows has a dependency chain which is
only satisfied if IE has previously been installed on the client machine.
This chain begins with urlmon.dll and fans out from there. The control
returns an error and refuses to init if this .dll and those below it are not
present and registered.
2) The Flash 4 Director xtra is the poorest implimentation of the Flash
player available. It does not support layered .swfs, does not automatically
change cursor over buttons, requires special handling of buttons through FS
Commands and Lingo, and breaks on certain applications of tell target to
movie clips within the Flash movie itself.

I'd suggest the following fixes for future releases of Flash and/or
Director:

1) Creation of an alternative .ocx control which was not dependent on
urlmon.dll. This call is only used in the geturl syntax. Such a control
would be used within VB, C++, Office Applications, etc. where the ability to
call a Web page could easily be implemented in the host language anyway.
Creating such a control could be as simple as disabling the error check for
urlmon.dll on init or commenting out that block of code. Geturl could be
handled as a special type of FS Command as it is in the Director player or
simply disregarded with the developer required to include appropriate code
through an FS Command.

Doing this extends the functionality of Flash way beyond the Web and would
allow for Flash to be used as a front-end for any application whose source
language supports ActiveX controls as well as in mixed media presentations
of all kinds.

2) Implementation of a full-featured Flash xtra for Director whose
functionality mirrors that of the Netscape plug-in and the ActiveX control.

This would allow us to more effectively use Flash with Director. As it
stands now, complex Flash movies need to be rewritten in order to work in
Director. We use Flash for Web-based presentations and interactive tutorials
and then frequently need the additional functionality of Director to
encapsulate these presentations for display within another environment such
as kiosk or CD. As it stands presently, we need to massage all our Flash
when we do this to allow for the more limited functionality of the Flash
xtra in Director. It would be nice not to have to do that.

Thanks for your consideration of these ideas,

len harrison (lenhatabtcorp [dot] com)
instructional designer
ABT Corporation

flasher is generously supported by...