Subject: Re: FLASH: OT: Exporting in QT?
From: Michael Penne
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 18:19:34 GMT

We just digitized a 20min video at video codec,
15fps, 320x240, about 4 gigs with sound, so your file
size is about right(video pros generally use dedicated
multi-gig->terrbyte raid arrays for editing). For
vector graphics, the animation codec is better. For
playback on a computer, cinepak, sorenson, or indeo is
a better option(however, while you are editing the
video, use the animation/video codec).

QT skips frames when your computer can't keep up with
the data rate of the video file, so yes your file is
too much for your computer--> it may be more of a disk
issue (assuming you have ~200+PPC+lots of ram), QT
needs to read the file off of your disk, and for video
codec playback you want a disk/bus that can transfer
data at a sustained data rate of~20mb/sec-at least (ie
ultra-wide scsi or firewire, the stock disk/bus on
most macs does 5-10mb/sec, while the ata drives on
newer macs and pcs have trouble with sustaining high
data rates, beware of buying a cheaper drive as many
mftrs. market a data rate that records maximum burst
transfer rather than sustained). Adaptec's 2940uw is a
scsi card one that many mac-vidheds praise, though I
recommend moving to firewire;-)...

For a wealth of information regrading the convoluted
world of digital video, check out
http://www.terran-int.com/.

--- marco berti <mberti48athotmail [dot] com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a problem exporting my flash4 movie in QT
> VIDEO.
> First,the file .mov created in this way (without
> compression) is very big
> (about 400MB), don't know if it's normal for a
> 500frames flash4 movie
> (30fps), but the problem is that when I play the
> movie it jumps lots of
> frames, to see all of them I must move forward frame
> by frame.
> I would import it in premiere to add other features
> but as it is I can't use
> it!
> My idea is that my MAC is not so strong to play a
> big file like that, am I
> right?
> Anyway, could someone help me?
> Thank you in advance,