Subject: Re: FLASH: MacOS IE Sniffer (Yes, Virginia, it can be done well)
From: Frederico
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 17:05:23 GMT

On 11/15/1999 10:11 AM, Webmaster calypsostudios.com via
calypsostudiosatcalypsostudios [dot] com, said:

>I am aware of the bug, if you would call it that, in IE 4.x on MacOS that
>does not display its plug-ins to scripts. Essentially, telling the script it
>does not have the plug-in.
>
>Is there a script that works? Or a workaround?

Just redirect the Mac IE 4.x users to a separate page that displays the
same SWF source using only the EMBED tag. The user, if Flash-equipped,
will see the movie as normal. If you find the very rarely unequipped
IE4.x, the user will get the ol' 'Plugin ?', and will be presented with
an option to find the right plugin within a few seconds and a single
click. This of course requires that the MIME type be properly set, but
that's a given.

You may also wish to add a genuine HTML link saying 'Page not visible?'
with options and instructions to obtain the correct plugin, and a back
button to return to the original SWF.

If you prefer a 'one-page-fits-all' solution, rather than the redirect,
just use the 'document.write' model to include the EMBED tag *only*,
excluding the Active X and '.jar' crapola for Wintel (which is how bloody
AfterShock should have been done in the first place).

Once you have a structure you like, just write an AppleScript to drop
your finished SWF upon, which will then generate the required code as per
the required parameters. Voila!

Cheers

Frederico

~If we all did the things we are capable of doing,
we would literally astound ourselves.~

--Thomas A. Edison

What have you accomplished in this century? You've still got a year to
go. . . regardless of the people who can't count the days in a calender.

Think Mystic

flasher is generously supported by...