Subject: Re: FLASH: What is the big difference between Director and Flash
From: Grimmwerks
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 19:40:38 GMT

That's kind of a vague question....and kind of hard to answer if you
don't actually _see_ the difference (I don't mean it to sound
condescending...they're just some VAST differences)...

in some cases, like in shockwave, I'm coming from the other end; I know
Director very well but my vector chops have always been lacking so I
stayed away from Flash. Now, the stuff I'm seeing in Flash from
programming point of view are kind of like where Director was in version
5...some basic variables that people like Branden can stretch to do some
extremely amazing stuff...

But the strength of Director is within the programming language; if
you're looking at Director from a stage/score viewpoint, then yes,
there's not a whole lot of differences....they're within the same family
but they have different chores that each does well...

but from a Lingo standpoint, this is where Director takes off. Lingo is
becoming on par to something like C++ with arrays, dot syntax, etc. And
Director can be built on with XTRAs to become something that the 'bare'
version couldn't even touch...look at the 3dgroove xtra at
3dgroove.com....full Quake like rendering 3d engine within Director....

Now, Flash can be imported within Director and can use the Director's
'brain' to expande it's palette as well...I've done some stuff where
Flash will send messages to Director and Director will interpret the
messages and execute them...now flash 4 can do some really cool things
on it's own now, but here's a project using flash 3 that couldn't really
be done like this on it's own:

for the songline creator I did for Sting's site, what was going on was
that asp pages were embedding shockwave on the fly and passing a list of
assets that the user had collected on the site through the shockwave
embed tag...a full list of assets, be they quotes or images. The
shockwave then went out and fetched all the image assets and pulled them
to the users hard drive and imported them. The user can then drag and
drop all these images/quotes to the slot boxes, pick an mp3 and fire it
back to the asp page, which tells generator what the user has chosen (the
generator template was tied to the song choice)...asp then returned the
id of this movie the user created to the shockwave and the shockwave
'grabbed' the flash movie with the id and at the same time started
streaming the mp3 from it's directory....

[ graphic design -|- sound design -|- shockwave -|- lingo -|- cdrom ]
131 Park Avenue East Rutherford NJ 07073
vox: 201.935.5701 fax: 201.935.5702
[ grimmWERKSataol [dot] com ] [ grimmWERKSathome [dot] com ]

flasher is generously supported by...