Subject: Re: FLASH: Balthasar and .swf in QT
From: Brian
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 17:25:34 GMT

> I was able to download the Balthasar .swf directly.
>
> Although the file downloaded as an .swf, it had the QuickTime Icon on my
> desk. I double clicked and Voila! It opens and plays in QT.
>
> Is that normal? Is QT now Flash capable?
>
> What I saw blew me away. Not only was the project done well and with 3D
> and with dynamic music, its graphics were speedy and dropped in so fast,
> that I thought I was at a multi screen movie... I really liked it, and
> that made me realize that Flash on the net seems much slower. Or is that
> a function of 56k connections? Will DSL/Cable modem speeds produce the
> same speed effect? Also the sounds seemed more dynamic that what plays
> via the web...
>
> Jeff

This site truly realizes the potential of the Internet for entertainment and
multimedia.
Reminded me of 'You Don't Know Jack'.
I'm sure we're all aware of stuff like 'Whirl Girl' and 'Thugs On Film'
Flash only SEEMS slower because people either:
1) Don't bother to animate with speed and finesse, or
2) Try to cater to lower bandwidth users. While this is not a bad thing, my
position is this: they already have slow machines that they're used to, so
produce for speed and let everybody catch up if it's important.

DSL/cable modems allow you to DL stuff quickly, but after that you need the
fast machine. My Mac Performa 5200 at home will (eventually) DL a .fla, but
it won't trun worth crap on it.

-Brian Matthews
http://www.angelfire.com/fl/sapringer
The Best STAR TREK Parody Site On The 'Net!

flasher is generously supported by...