Subject: RE: FLASH: who owns the fla?
From: Top-Link Tech (Charles Moulton
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 22:02:33 GMT

Having your own backup file is NOT proof of ownership.

No one should EVER enter into a job agreement with ANYONE without a properly
written contract. "Work-for-hire" is such a gray area, that in many cases a
corporation can tie a designer up in litigation for years over who owns
what...and keep in mind, 9 times out of 10, they have far better resources
than you do.

The video game analogy doesn't fit, neither does the fact that the client
may or may not know how to edit the file. For the cost of a $40 book and a
free download from Macromedia, the client can edit the .fla to their hearts
content.

The fact of the matter remains, if you absolutely want to retain ownership
of all your development files without question, you should always spell that
out in contractual form, then discussions such as this would be moot.

Always cover your own ass first.....because the client is making damn sure
to cover theirs.

-Graveshow
webmasteratgraveshow [dot] com
http://www.graveshow.com