Subject: FLASH: Message to list (and) Tell Target not working
From: Goldlink Media
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 04:18:33 GMT

I'm getting closer to figuring out how to get this project working right.
Although it's a contract that turned out to more complex than origanally
told, they have given me the opportunity to learn. I know I have this list
to thank for me getting to keep this account and I really don't know how to
repay you all. It's you that I've learned from and without your help, I
would of had to tell my client I don't know how to do their site. I'm just
a beginner with Flash. I've paniced that no one could help fast enough but
you did. You even came up with ideas to solve things temporarily until I
learned the more complicated ones. I've seen help go accross the list for
other ppl that have solved my own questions. The dolphin will have to wait
since I learned it has a tremendous amount of cosign whatever you call it
but I was given an alternate solution until I learn. I'll use trailing
dolphins for now.

I can't thank you enough and I will be putting you in the credits on this
site, and our own company site when it's finished. Macromedia, this list,
and everyone here that teaches small things and complicated things are very
much appreciated. I really wanted to keep this account.

This is the one problem that I have for now that I think once it's solved,
I can put up a test site for critiques.

I don't know how to get children of the main timeline to talk to each other.

I've been to the FlashBible tutorial but I don't see where a child MC is
talking to another. Here's my set up.

The main timeline has only actions, lables and full scene movie clips. The
scenes on the main timeline are:

Advertising
Contact Us
Home Team
Tour FNC
Service
Programming

Each one of the above movie clips is a full scene with other movie clips.
Inside each main scene they have the same layout, just different colors to
match the color theme for that particular department within the news
station. The MCs are as follows for each:

Layer 1: MC: Title Bar
Layer 2: MC: Arches
Layer 3: MC: Text Area
Layer 4: MC: Menu
Layer 5: footer (not an mc)
Layer 6: MC: Sunburst
Layer 7: background (not an mc)

Each of the above are all placed in frame 1.

The title bar is suppose to play, then the last frame should call the
Arches to play. The arches when finished loading need to call the text
area to play. The footer and background remain visible all the time. The
menu tells the sunburst to play. All the movie clips except for the
titlbar have a stop action in frame one and are invisible until frame 2.
The titlebar is invisible in frame 1 but plays immediatly then stops in the
last frame so it wont repeat the animation. All the other MC's also stop
in last frame so they don't repeat.

The title bar plays perfect but it won't make the arches play next. If i
put all the above on the main movie's timeline, they work perfectly.

Home--->Scene------> title
------->arches
------->menu

aren't the title, arches, menu, etc children of Scene and grandchildren of
Home? How do I make the children of Scene talk to each other?

Also, Buttons dont work in the menu. I need the menu to talk to other MC's
in Scene, and to talk to other MC's in the main timeline where Home is.

There are no buttons on the main movie, only movieclips with buttons inside
them.

Sincerely,

Colleen Appleton
Goldlink Media