Subject: Re: FLASH: preloader all in one scene?
From: Marc Hoffman, Poison Dart Frog Media
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 17:39:10 GMT

At 09:30 PM 11/25/99 , you wrote:

>Is it true that for a preloader it can't read across different scenes. I
>have a long movie that I want to break up into scenes, but I just want to
>make sure it can be done. Anyone have any thoughts?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Pat

As others have pointed out, you can read across scenes. Best method is to
assign unique frame labels to check loading status, since the labels will
stay with the frame whereas the frame numbers change as you make edits.

You should be warned, however, that using scenes will make other work a lot
more difficult. For example, movie clips don't retain their instances
across scene boundaries, so they must be re-inserted and therefore will
reset to frame one. You will have problems with sound toggle controls as
well as other Flash devices. Try to avoid scenes. Use lots of layers to
organize your information (layers cost nothing in file size) and use labels
(small file size cost) or comments (no file size cost) to demarcate
sections of your movie.

Marc Hoffman

marcatdartfrogmedia [dot] com (mailto:marcatdartfrogmedia [dot] com).
My Flash Portfolio: <http://www.dartfrogmedia.com/sampler>
(featured in Flash 3 Web Animation, by Ken Milburn)

flasher is generously supported by...