Subject: RE: FLASH: [xpost] magnify with different levels of detail
From: Paul Willoughby
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 12:46:41 GMT

Hi Richard,

To zoom in, all you have to do is scale up the map using SetProperty.
You should put this action on a button with an onRelease action.
Probably the best way would be to have different buttons with different
actions for the different areas you want to scale. You're also going to
need some code to move the map (again using SetProperty), because
setting the scale will scale it up based on the centre point of the
entire map Movie clip (you have made your map into a movie clip haven't
you?).
To reveal details you can set the visibility or alpha of the relevant
elements according to the map's scale.

What you're talking about doing is really quite a large project.I worked
on a similar project, which you can see at
http://www.nottinghillcarnival.net.uk/flash_map.htm . When you click on
'make map big' the map scales up and new road names are faded in. This
is simpler than what you are describing, and took about a four days to
code up from a basic Illustrator design. Hate to fish, but if you're
interested in farming the work out contact me off list.

hth

paul

Richard L. Taylor wrote on 09 November:

> Hi all
>
> I've been using director for years, but am an absolute newbie to
> flash. I've just got myself flash 5 for a specific project:
>
> I have a map in Illustrator with various degrees of detail on
> different layers. In flash I want to present the map at its most
> basic view at 100% magnification.
>
> As the user clicks in a state, the user then needs to see a zoomed in
> view to display that state and the level of detail changes to reflect
> the closer view.
>
> The user then needs to be able to click on a region within the state
> and see a magnified version of that region, again showing more detail.
>
> The last step would be for them to click on a town and have a URL
> passed to a database driven web site (already written - PHP, MySQL).
>
> The user would also need to be able to zoom out a level at any time
> and move around the magnified views.
>
> My question is, how do a make flash zoom in or out and change detail
> level to match the area the user clicked.
>
> Has anyone else worked on a similar project who would be willing to
> share info on how to perform this?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Richard.
> --

Register before November 10 and save �200
http:// www.flashforward2000.com