Subject: Re: FLASH: Deleting unused items from the Library?
From: Laura Mollett
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 20:16:42 GMT

Hi Rebecca,

> So here are my questions:
> 1) Is it safe to delete an item from the Library that it doesn't tell you is
> unused? What happens if it is really used somewhere? Does the art just go
> away or does it fill in the void with something else (Director used to do
> this...you could end up with scripts in graphical channels and all kinds of
> nasty things would happen).

If you delete a used item from you file, you'll get a very small (sometimes
not visible as it's covered up or something) blue square where the movie
clip or symbol should be. You can doubleclick on this square and bring up
the item definition menu (and switch to a new symbol). Of course anything
that needs that symbol won't work, but they don't really mess up the rest of
the file either.

> 2) WHY aren't my unused items showing up as unused? Bug? By design? Is
> there a way to force them?

This happens to me too - I dunno why. It annoys me, so I don't use that
feature much. I'm more inclined to delete what I don't need by hand.

> 3) Why does pasting from one movie into another still refer to existing
> symbols in the other movie?

They had the same name? Did it bring in the new files? I'm not sure exactly
what happened, but there is another way to take care of the problem -
doubleclick on the instance of the movie clip on stage, bringing up the
"definition" menu. From that menu, choose the name of the mc or symbol you
actually want to use and click on the spiral-looking icon on the bottom left
of the menu. This will switch the two menu items (you may have to click more
than once or very carefully - it's a bit touchy). If what you want to change
is a bitmap, you can doubleclick on the name of the bitmap in the library to
bring up the bitmap definition menu, and choose "import" to reimport a
different item (or "update" to reimport one you already saved).

Hope this helps,
Laura

Register before November 10 and save �200
http:// www.flashforward2000.com