Subject: RE: FLASH: E-mail link
From: Len Harrison
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 18:06:36 GMT

In the URL dialog make the href a mailto:

Correction to my previous reply to your previous post.
I was thinking of a form button when you said button. I saw one of those beneath your Flash. Just realized you probably don't mean that, but a button inside of Flash itself.

Two options:
1) in the URL dialog for the button action put Javascript:self.close(). Works with major browsers except IE 3
2) use an FS Command to do the same thing. FS Command sends two strings to your host environment, one is nominally a command and the second is nominally a parameter list. You need to have a routine on the Flash host (i.e. browser) side that catches the event, parses it, and then sends it on to a function or acts on it directly. Aftershock will write the skeleton for this event and you just fill in the instances you need by building a parser of whatever complexity is required to handle the ranges of input you expect. In this case, if this is all you are doing, just put the self.close() inside the shell created by Aftershock. You need to do this in two routines though, because FS Command on Explorer fires a VB event as Flash is an ActiveX control in that environment. So Aftershock creates two scripts on your page, one for Netscape and one for Explorer. The Explorer one specifies language=vbscript. FS Command will add a bit of delay to things in Netscape because the browser will need to load LiveConnect to make it work. It's also a bit more awkward and potentially confusing unless you have a lot of script. With a lot of script, it's kind of useful to have that single block which identifies all the Flash activity and provides a single place to comment it. The only advantage of using FS Command is IE 3 support. If you don't care about that, use option 1 above.

len harrison
instructional designer
lenhatabtcorp [dot] com