Subject: Re: FLASH: Sharing Business Resources
From: Robert Obenland
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 23:51:28 GMT

I may be revealing my ignorance, but doesn't PDF require PDF Publisher to
create, and doesn't it generate files that are huge compared to ASCII or
HTML? I don't have the Publisher, and would want to keep downloads fast
and limit web space to a meg or two. Would welcome more information and/or
help with the file size issue.

Marc Hoffman

Mark:

New to flash - but experieced with pdf.

PDF is:
1. cross platform
2. brings all graphics, spacing, and font info with the file
3. Is a relatively small file size for what it does
4. Acrobat Reader is free and can print and view all pdf files

(I just finished a slide show
with interative buttons, sound, zooms
graphics, charts, and movies (35 pages)
all enclosed in 2.7 MB pdf)

A 2 page contract with a logo
could be 20KB, depends on
how many fonts, graphics, etc, etc.

5. A PDF file is created by a two
step process: 1) use the original appplication
and "print to file" using a postscript printer
2) use "distiller" to make a pdf file from
the postscript file

(Whats nice is Quark, PageMaker, Framemaker
Illustrator, Freehand, etc can all make Postscript files
(even Word and Excel)

6. Distiller can be set to different
compression schemes depending on the file use -
max for the web, low for printing color separations
to film...

I own distiller and would make some pdf files
for you if someone sent me the postscript files.

However, if pure file size is the determining factor then
ascii or html text wins.

Bob

bobenlandatininet [dot] com