Subject: RE: FLASH: Flash text handling isnt up to par.
From: Lulu
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 00:02:57 GMT

>I'm not a long-time user of either of the products
>mentioned, but instead a long-term Corel Draw! user. You avoid breaking text
Len Harrison said

>in Corel so you can edit it later. Things such as outline, fills,
>extrusions, envelopes, rotations, etc. can be edited in Corel without losing
>the text attribute. So I naturally expect that as you expect the opposite.

Hello Len:

No not the quite opposite. In print, I will often work on what I consider
a *master* Illustrator file where the type is still kept as type (not
*broken apart* or turned into *outlines* or *curves*) just before I go to
press or film, as it were, I would take the illustrator file and turn the
font info into *outlines* or to use Flash terminology *break apart* the
type. At this point I would take the illustrator file and rename it
slightly then place the illustrator file into a Quark document for
runout. This by the way is considered *good ettiquette* in the prepress
world and so for two reasons. One, files are less likely to have line
ending jumps because the fonts the film house owns may contain different
kerning tables than the fonts designer has and second, it shows a level
of concern for the font designer's copyright over the design of the font.
If you supply a film house your file with only the outline information it
would be very difficult to reconstitute a font for illegal use.

Font designers (developers) are one of the big losers in software piracy
because it is so easy to distribute their fonts electronically. This is
why I and a lot of people who have worked in typography and print by
habit turn font information into outlines where possible.

Like I said before, people in the print design biz would not naturally
think of keeping fonts *as they are* when in Flash due to conventions
they have learned using other vector based programs. When John pointed
out yesterday that Flash internerally saves *instances* of a used font
within the .fla file I was at once surprised and thankful such a method
has been developed.

-lulu