Subject: FLASH: How Do I avoid MSIE5 from cacheing an instance of a Flash Movie
From: Dino Micouris
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 13:04:04 +0100

Hi,

I've made a flash movie that imports data from an external file and a PERL script that updates that data file and reloads the flash movie in a different frame. The movie then creates a 'SCENE' based on the data supplied by the file.

Everything's fine in NS4.x, but in MSIE5 the first loaded instance of the flash movie is cached and is shown always regardless of updates to the data file. I can overcome the problem but switching MSIE5's settings for Temporary Files to "Check for Newer Versions Every Visit To Page" rather than "Check Automatically", but I can't rely on this as MSIE5's default is the latter.

I've tried everything to do with all files (updating the dates on the files, Pragma No Cache tags, Expiry dates, creating different IDs for the page and the movie, updating the modification date of files on the server, EVERYTHING!) but nothing helps.

Has anyone come across this problem before, and is there a fix for it? Is their a way that Flash allows you to empty the cache or reload the page from scratch?

Hope someone can help before I go MAD!!!

Kind Regards

Dino Micouris
Global Beach Ltd

flasher is generously supported by...