Subject: RE: FLASH: 2 Silly Flash Cartoons here...
From: Cummins, Rob
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 14:40:10 +0100

> ----------

Hmm... Karin, I would like to say a couple of things. First of all, you must
remember that
Shockwave.com has it's own agenda. Gone are the days of the old shocked site
of the day, where
a site stood on it's own merits. The new Macromedia agenda is to become an
internet media presence,
and the way they're going about this is by doing entertainment. Just as a
documentary on Virology would
probably be passed up in favour of a cartoon involving Giant Killer Robots,
the same seems to have happened to you. Macromedia's objective is to
promote their own technology and create web traffic... and this generally
means pushing content that is entertaining rather than educational. Although
they would like you to think otherwise, Macromedia are not here to be
arbiters of good taste, or judges of creativity. How many technically bad
sites have been SSOD just because they were part of a well known brand or
franchise?

Secondly, with regard to your comments on Radiskull... Consider
"traditional" children's entertainment: Red riding hood, Jack & the
beanstalk, and anything by the Brothers Grimm or Roald Dahl...all of these
feature big scary characters who threaten to eat or kill various people.
Just because it's set to a rock soundtrack doesn't make it any different in
my opinion. Look at Sesame Street characters like Oscar the Grouch or The
Count... part of their appeal is that they are initially what you would
consider "scary" (a green monster that lives in a trash can, a vampire ) but
they are actually quite cute and fun. I'd say the same thing is true of
Radiskull & Devil doll... (Devil doll is quite cute anyway)

Thirdly, Flash is for everyone. It can be used for whatever purpose the
person who buys the software sees fit. I don't think it's fair to criticise
someone for producing entertaining content with it.

Anyway, that's my two pence.

Alias|Rob

flasher is generously supported by...