Subject: FLASH: Instance's, buttons within a movie.
From: Harald
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 15:52:47 +0100

Hi i'm new to flash and subscribed 4 day's ago to this mailinglist.
Still have 350 unread mails =o)

This mailinglist has an abundance of info so i'll stick with it.
Cant seem to find a decent newsgroup on Flash. Is there a NG that does flash
?
IMHO NG's are easier to read. As i said i'm new to flash and have some
stupid questions.

Before asking is there a FAQ from all questions asked before wich are pretty
common and are explained in "normal" english. The flash4.pdf gives me a
headache =o(

I have a movie with 8 buttons, it starts on the main timeline. (if u can
refer to a timeline IN a movie to subtimelines).
So if you klick on one of the 8 buttons you will go to say frame 5. Sofar so
good.
A new movie starts and at the end of the movie a button apears (in the frame
5 movie), here it is where i'm stuck. I cant seem to get it go back to the
first movie with the 8 buttons.
When i want to assign a function to a button like i did to skip to frame 5,
it will not do it.

My problem with those movie timelines is with the buttons in the movie.
Because u are not on the MAIN timeline the button action is done in the
movie itself.
I can assign an action to the first movie's buttons because i can click on
them in the scene, and assign a frame to go to.
In the second movie you cant see the button, becuase it is hidden. It will
appear when the movie is done.
I have to assign the action within the movie. And somehow the instances on
the MAIN timeline are not available for referal.
I noticed something like the dos command line. That you work with "/" to
refer to the other timelines. (still get my point ? ).

How do u get buttons within a movie, to go back (with the go.to command i
guess) to the main timeline.
What i do now is hide a button on the main timeline and it pops up when the
movie is done.
The button is not in the movie but on the main timeline. (scene1).
I would like the movie to have the button however and assign it back to the
start of the main timeline.

Well if you can still follow me and you have an answer i'd greatly apreciate
your help.
There seem so many way's to make a flash movie, but the way i'm doing it now
seems pretty stupid.
And i need more layers in the scene than i guess i need.

If someone wants the .flz to look at i'll send it.
Beware its my first flash thingy, so dont count on it to be shocking. =p

Thnx, Harald

flasher is generously supported by...