Subject: Re: FLASH: New to the List with First product...
From: Nigel Randsley-Pena
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 18:19:42 +0100

Dear Ed:

>From the header of your e-mail I see you use Outlook Express, this
indicates that most probably you use some version of Internet Explorer
to view the site. Internet Explorer uses an ActiveX control to view
flash files so it doesn't care if the mime type is not set properly ( in
the case we are talking about it's set to application/octet-stream ).
The mime type setting is important for the plugin version of the flash
player. If you are posting on a site that does not have the proper mime
type set, and doing so is out of your control you can use a parameter in
your html that dictates the type of embed you are using. This should not
be construed as a good answer to the problem as the only way to
correctly implement flash on a server is to set the proper mime type (
an operation that takes about 5 seconds to complete).
This subject has been discussed more than once on the list and some of
the list members have been called mime police for their insistence.
Please forgive me for rambling so but your answer indicated you did not
know what was being alerted to and could confuse other recent users of
flash like yourself.