Subject: RE: FLASH: FullScreen Browser /
From: Len Harrison
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 20:01:58 +0100

The only way to specify the attributes of the browser is by opening an new
instance of it with script. This shouldn't be an issue since you can make
this happen in the onLoad event of the body tag. Usually I create a
lightweight splash screen that is either size independent or that utilizes
frames to maintain a specific size centered in the browser for the initial
display. Historically I used small animated gifs and lightweight text
effects for this, then, with the advent of level 4.0 browsers used DHTML.
Now I use Flash here since it is ideal for the purpose. It even rescales to
browser size. And you can bring in something acceptable in the 12-20K range.
To avoid making repeat users sit through the same intro each time, I create
a way to short circuit the intro and open the main window that is available
within the first couple of seconds. A full-screen invisible button on the
top layer does this in Flash.

Your only overhead here is client memory. Server space is not a factor.
Bandwidth is intentionally kept small.

Hope this helps. If you have further questions, post or email me.

len harrison
instructional designer
lenhatabtcorp [dot] com