Subject: Re: FLASH: New Site & make sure your MIME is set
From: John Croteau
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 11:29:07 +0100

Hi Gav,

>Announce a new flash site, Deep Blue
>See it at http://www.btinternet.com/~gavin.holland/deepblue/
Or not, sorry to have to tell you that the MIME is not set for Flash on
your Server.
For help see: http://www.FlashCentral.com/Tech/Index.htm#Server

Not picking on anyone in particular but all new Flashers or anyone
putting up a new site should make sure the MIME is set before going
live. This is very important because it can cause you a lot of lost
visitors and create bad will. Though not common one of the symptoms when
the MIME is not set is for the browser to crash. Just because it works
for you does not mean it is OK. You MUST do a specific MIME test. In the
link above there are links for testing MIME and 'Server MIME Setup
Required' explains the possible symptoms of the MIME not being set for
Flash on the server.

As far as myself and others on this list if we go to a site and don't
see the pix or the browser crashes we may not have time (or the desire)
to go back to your site with another browser (ie usually MSIE Win
95/98/NT because it doesn't normally use the MIME setting on the
server). So if you warn us the MIME is not set we won't waste time
waiting for a download we will never see and will not go there when a
browser crash will be a problem, this will leave us time to visit your
site at a convient time.