Subject: Re: FLASH: flash audio
From: Dave Hollinden
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 03:29:17 +0100

Hi Nigel,

thanks for the ideas, but...

>> Here's a tricky audio question:
>> Whenever I import 11KHz sound files in Flash ...
>> PC with Win95) I get a lot of small crackles in the file. ...
>
>I would say this is the result of one of three things :
>
>- the crackle is the result of clipping, I don't know how Flash converts
>but if it neither rounds nor dithers then it truncates and clipping may occur

I always normalize to 95% because Flash does have a problem with negative
going peaks that clip.

>- the crackle is the result of glitches in the original sound clip that
>are enhanced by conversion

Could you say more about this? I've tried to locate glitches in the
original but couldn't fnd any. Can really tiny, inaudible glitches get
enhanced by conversion to the point where they are audible? Ad what
conversion are you talking about? If I import an 11kHz file, it sounds
crackly inside the Flash library , in the movie timeline, and in a SWF file
exported at 11kHz. Are there conversions that Flash performs in these
situations?

>- you were eating RiceCrispies when you recorded the sounds and dropped
>Crackle on the mic.

No, no, I eat meusli! But actually, last week I did have one of them good
'ol Rice Crispie marshmallow treats...

>Tip : The original sound files for Flash should be 22.050Hz 16bit for
>best results. This will not impact negativly on the final movie size and
>will allow better compression results.

So, fill me in here. Does Flash work best at 22kHz 16 bit because of some
internal processing issue, like the way Shockwave audio literature says
Shockwave does? Otherwise, I'd rather downsample to 11kHz outside of Flash
because Flash doesn't seem to use an anti-alias filter. what gives?

Thanks
Dave Hollinden
Sound Designer
Jet City Studios
2019 3rd Ave., Suite 100
Seattle, WA 98121
206-448-5854
dhollindenatjetcitystudios [dot] com (mailto:dhollindenatjetcitystudios [dot] com)