Subject: Re: FLASH: FSCommands and then some...
From: John Croteau
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 18:22:31 +0100

Hi Jim,

> I hope someone can help this poor scripter out!
> I would like to create a game ...lets say a foulshooting game...
> that will send out commands to an html page so that the player's name and > score are recorded for all to see at. I could nave this in a frame even. > Its just that I am not a javascripter and don't know how this could be > done with Flash. It would have to work on a PC and Mac.
> Does anyone know how I can set this up?

Here are your possibilities:

Scripting is limited to Netscapwe 3+ Win 95/98/NT and Power Mac
MSIE 3+ Win 95/98/NT
with Java and Scripting Enabled.

You can input and display in Flash using the user's Keyboard with
Version 4 browsers.
Create a mouse activated Keyboard in Flash that will accept and display
a name as input by the user by clicking on Keycap buttons in Flash. This
could be made available as an option (automatic if Version 3) to user
keyboard.

Or you could Enter name in an input box in HTML.

The score can be output using JavaScript assuming Browser as above to a
Best of List. Browsers not meeting above Scipting requirements could
still play the game but would not be entered into the Best of List. You
could put up a message similar to 'The browser only allow you to play in
Practice Mode, so your score cannot be entered in the High Scorers
List'.