Subject: RE: FLASH: Resolution (800x600 vs...)
From: Eric Smollin
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 16:15:37 +0100

>I'm setting up the foundation for a movie that will be
>quite lengthy and I'm trying to avoid massive changes
>down the road.

>This movie we'll be shown over a projector capable of
>up to 1024x768 resolution, and I know the presenter's
>laptop is capable of that as well. However, I'm
>concerned that if we ever distribute this presentation
>to others, their laptops or even their desktops are
>probably only capable of 800x600 (or at least that's
>where they are set).

>So, the question is, is it better to create the
>presentation at 800x600 and let the presenter's
>laptop/projection scale up and that way the clients
>will be able to view the 800x600 as it is. OR, is it
>better to develop at the max resolution (1024x768) and
>have the presenter show as is without scaling but the
>clients will need to scale down the presentation to
>800x600 when viewing.

>What's a better scenario? I can always do everything
>800x600 and even have the presenter change the
>settings on the laptop/projector if that's a concern.
>I'm just concerned how things will scale at the
>different, full-screen resolutions.

As long as you are not using bitmaps (or any raster images) in your
presentation you should be ok to scale either up or down. The real problems
come into play when you have a bitmap image that looks good at 800 X 600,
but once you scale it up (or down for that matter) the image becomes
distorted.

-Eric-