Subject: FLASH: Connection speed ?s with Flash
From: Jefferis
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 19:50:00 +0100

Looking for the latest stats on average client connection speed. I
checked a few stat pages, but saw no info. I am in a debate with a few
on quality of graphics vs. download time. They are telling me the
majority is still at 28.8, and I thought it would be at least 56k because
the majority browser is version 4 and up, but 60% or so. Since the stats
I read said users don't install new browsers but use whatever came on
their machines, I figured most people have had to buy within the past 2
years, which would mean 56k installed...

My concern is that if the person is correct, many of the features of
Flash graphics mean that a far simpler graphic site should be preferred
for the majority of pages. I can't imagine waiting for some of these
nice flash sites to load at 28.8!!!

RELATED QUESTION:

If you create Flash swfs for the web and use a frame rate of 12ps, what
happens to the cable user who downloads the movie in 1 second? Does it
still play at 12ps or does it zip along at a faster rate of speed? What
I am asking is... I can see there would be a difference in streaming if
they were viewing it without downloading it first, but most Flash sites
load the whole or majority of the movie before it starts to play...

Do you see developing a separate site for 56 modems and cable/DSL modems,
like you do for Quicktime sites that vary the movie options based upon
your bandwidth?

Jeff

Jefferis Peterson, Pres.
Peterson Sales