Subject: Re: FLASH: Carriage Return
From: Wes Tilson
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 1999 19:55:49 +0100

(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)
Flash List disclaimer: The following are suggestions of "some" methods and
are not presented as the "best" methods. Only the GURUs present the "best".
(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)

On the PC, one way is to combine ASCII 13 with ASCII 10 to get a line feed
and carriage return.
On the Mac system only one of these is used to get the result.

In BASIC:

Dim LFCR
LFCR = Chr(13) + Chr(10)

Text1.txt = "test" & LFCR & "test" gets

test
test

> How do I insert a CarriageReturn into the text file so Flash will
> show a linebreak ?

Programming languages will use something like the above method to insert the
LFCR.
Do you mean: Will Flash 4 keep the LFCR and extend the text field down to
show multi lines?

On page 118 of the manual a dialog is pictured indicating the Text Field
Properties.
The Variable name you read the text into is at the top.
There are properties for multiline, wordwrap, restrict text length, disable
editing, etc.

This indicates that Flash 4 will interpret the LFCR properly when read in
from a text file.

My questions include:
In the Flash 4 scripting, will Flash 4 output a proper LFCR?
How many text manipulation features does Flash 4 have within itself?

Flame shields up!

YAFS: Yet Another Screen Saver Maker.
http://fusion.combase.com/~westilson/yafs
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatus nunc.