Subject: Re: FLASH: Importing MP3 files
From: Matt Glubb
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 00:21:48 +0100

>>Well, it isn't the best MP3 player around. But one might say, most easily
>playable.
>I certainly think it is quite good.
>What is the best?

I use soundjam mp by cassidy and greene (http://www.soundjammp.com/)
for the macintosh. The quality seems to be slightly better than
macamp and about the same as audion to my untrained ears.

advantages to soundjam is it also includes an encoder which seems as
good as any other although (and I haven't done any in depth tests)
N2MP3 (which is just an encoder) seems just as good.

It also converts mp3 to aiff format - quality of aiff ouput seems
equivalent to a high quality tape recording - you can hear hiss if
you turn the volume up high enough. I must stress that I've only
performed this test with 256Kb/s mp3 files so the quality may drop on
a more traditional 128Kb/s file.

hth

matt

matt glubb | http://vaguerant.com/