Subject: Re: FLASH: OT: 3D on the web
From: Nigel Randsley-Pena
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 13:28:17 +0100

John Doe,

I hope you're not one of those that has a name tag on his toe ;)

> I know, i know, this is not a flash subject, but seeing there's a lot of
> interest in 3D on the web, even among our list here, and how the darn 3D
> standalone/plugin software for flash is taking forever to come out(c'mon
> ideaworks, own up!) this could be an answer for the budding 3D artist in
> this list.

If you can't wait for vecta3d, in fact it is starting to enter the
vapourware phase, use Illustrate! David Gould did a very good job with
that one. Don't forget, however tha there are various other solutions
for 3D in Flash.

> Imagine if you can do real 3D on the web, and not just pseudo-3D like for
> flash. And no plug-ins, no downloads, just plain ol' IE and NS. Well,
> imagine no more! Go to http://www.shout3d.com

Java based 3D solutions are quite common, Shout3D adds nothing new,
apart from beta quality java code with some serious bugs still included.
If you're looking for a 3D solution for the web I would recommend the
Pulse Player.
You can check it out at www.pulsenetwork.com I think. This is a
streamable, scriptable lightweight solution that is quite superior to
Shout3D.

Nigel