Subject: Re: FLASH: Advance a number of frames
From: Paul Hagwood
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 19:35:24 +0100

> I think you'd need to tell us "what you want" so
that we could tell you why
> you want to avoid using Labels. I see labels as
being the most effective
> way to do something, however, if you could tell my
why this wouldn't work, I
> would be able to better assist with the answer to
the question. I'd think,
> if you are using F4, that you should be able to
move forward a specific
> number of frames.
>
> Is this a "dice" type thing? There's another way
to workaround that, if
> that is the case.
>
> Sounds like some sort of an RPG, to me, so I think
there's still more info
> needed...
>
> Russ

Here is the situation, I'm creating this file the
hard way, I know that, but I'm not a programmer so I
have to do things the hard way and then gradually
build up to understanding how I can do it with
scripts (cause I learn really slow). With that said,
let me try to explain:
I have a movieclip called "mouth" which is the mouth
of a figures face (yes, I'm talking about the
virtualdoll) and I want the mouth to animate
depending on what the user clicks on. Sounds simple
but there is a problem, I have created the ability
for the user to change the doll's race (because I
love all my bothers and sisters no matter what
race!). That means there are now two mouths that
could be present at any given time (and I may add
more, asian or whatever). Perhaps there is a string
of variables that could be written to know when the
user has chosen "black mouth" or "white mouth" or
whatever, but I don't know how to do that and it will
probably take me a while to learn...
So what I have going on right now is I have buttons
that do two actions when clicked. 1. they telltarget
"mouth" to advance one frame 2. telltarget "mouth" to
'play'
What this does is it makes it so that no matter which
mouth they have chosen they will still see the same
basic animation. I realized if I could do the same
action but control the number of frames it moves and
then tell it to play, I could have other animations.
So for example at this time when it does the above
action, she smiles, but if I wanted her to blow a
kiss, I would have to have it move to a different
point in the timeline. The reason it isn't being done
with a label is the label would only work with one of
the mouths so they would make "black" doll blow a
kiss with "white" doll's mouth. We can't have that
now, can we?

Like I said, the hard way, but if I can create a
action which does two simple things, I will open a
whole new world. 1. telltarget "x" advance "#" frames
2. telltarget "x" "play" then I'll have a action at
the end that sends it back to the starting position
and 'poof' smiles, kisses, frowns, whatever!!

If anyone can help, I'll love you forever!

If you want the URL for the doll, write me and you
can see what I mean.

===
Paul Hagwood
Web Design and Multimedia