Subject: Re: FLASH: shopping cart interfaces
From: Gregg Caines
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 17:43:38 +0100

> 1) is flash 4 very suited for this, or should I upgrade to flash 5 before
> starting
> into this (I'm not sure if the new version has any added features that
would
> make the interface better.. does it?).

Flash 5 doesn't really offer anything above Flash 4 in this regard. I
suppose
you could read the product data from XML documents through Flash 5's
XML socket, but you'll probably just want to use some server-side middleware
(CGI, ASP, JSP, PHP, Cold Fusion, etc) to access a database.

> 2) Can somebody point me towards a site that utilizes flash for this
> purpose...
> I'd like to see it in action before I choose this for the best direction.

I haven't seen one, but I'd be interested to see one if you find one.

> 3) a very obvious problem hit me while in the shower earlier today, what
> about
> the database? Is it a realistic possibility to make a flash site with a
> user side searchable (and administrator updatable) database of
information?

You can't access a database with Flash alone. You'll need one of those
middleware technologies I mentioned earlier. You're also going to need to
figure out your methods for shipping calculation, tax calculation, and
payment
processing (how else will you figure out the correct total, with tax and
shipping
included, and verify the credit number/date?). After you've got all that
you'll
still need a management section (so the owner can update her/his inventory)
and
you'll need an SSL certificate to show that your credit card transactions
are
secure. There's actually quite a bit of work to all this. You might be
better off
buying a pre-made solution, and forgetting about Flash, if the budget is
tight.
You can probably buy an HTML-based solution for around $300.

Gregg Caines
n e o m e t r i x systems inc.
http://www.neometrixsystems.com
gcainesatneometrixsystems [dot] com

NudeGuru.com is proud to sponsor the Flasher list