Subject: Re: FLASH: FYI: New Macromedia tech note: Flash 5 Player issues
From: Helen Triolo
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 22:29:03 +0100

This isn't much consolation, but the Flash-in-a-table-cell problem is
only a problem with some Flash 5 movies. I reported such a problem that
I had with http://i-Technica.com/flash5/flash5_000826.html (DON'T click
that link if you have IE in Win98 though -- it will crash IE4 or 5) to
Macromedia, but have since tried it with other movies and found that
they don't crash. That particular fla uses a dynamic text field with
escape sequence (\r, etc) formatting, and an html-formatted field, and
not much else. So I'd guess that one of those things (together with the
fact that's in a table cell) may be causing the problem. If you're
publishing something in F5 and want it in a table cell, you should just
go ahead and try it in Win98 -- it will either crash when the Flash
appears or not (it's not a sometimes thing). Hopefully a new version of
the player will come out soon and render this a moot point.

Regards,
Helen
Flash 5 Journal: http://i-technica.com/flash5
Flash Q&A archive: http://i-technica.com/flashlist

Gregg Caines wrote:

> I agree.... It's the latest version of the most popular browser
> on the most popular operating system and tables are the only
> effective way to position things on a page. I'd say that's a
> pretty big bug to have to accommodate in the future (and past,
> retroactively). How fast have these Flash 5 players been
> going out again?

> Gregg Caines
> n e o m e t r i x systems inc.
> http://www.neometrixsystems.com
> gcainesatneometrixsystems [dot] com
>
> > Hi.
> >
> > I went down the list on this new tech note going "I can live with that...
> > uhuh... ok, I can live with that..., I can live with that too...." until I
> > got to this one:
> >
> > > Flash content in a table cell crashes Internet Explorer 5.5 on PC
> > >
> > > Flash content embedded in a table cell may cause crashing of Internet
> > Explorer
> > > 5.5 with the Macromedia Flash Player 5.
> >
> > I can't live with that one.
> >
> > the page says :
> > > Macromedia is aware of these issues, and is currently addressing them
> for
> > > future release of the player.
> >
> > Is this future release intended to be soon?
> >
> > I'm pretty certain my clients will refuse the use of ANY flash on their
> > sites if its not...
> >
> > Catherine

NudeGuru.com is proud to sponsor the Flasher list