Subject: Re: UKNM: Domain Name Theft
From: Mcneive
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 08:30:51 +0100

In a message dated 4/9/99 9:45:47 AM GMT Daylight Time,
cmeadenatdigitalnation [dot] co [dot] uk writes:

<< We have approached the company that registered the domain name to find out
what their intentions are, and they hinting that they will sell the domain
name for a price.

Is this legal and is there anything we can do about it? >>

If, as you say, the domain uniquely identifies your client AND (particularly)
if your client has a trade mark in that word/phrase, then (a) if it's a
UK-administered domain, Nominet has a process (at
www.nominet.net/ref/drs.html) you can go through to put the domain into
dispute , and (b) in any event (whether it's a national domain or a global
top level domain), you can consider threatening direct legal action in the UK
courts on the principles outlined in last year's - by now, pretty well-known
- "One In A Million" case (see, for eg,
http://news2.thdo.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk/newsid%5F138000/138120.stm).

In these circs, a letter to the miscreants which carefully invokes that case
stands a reasonable chance of getting them to hand the domain over.

[The position's a bit more difficult if the domain name is more generic.]

Hope this helps...

Liam McNeive
mcneive solicitors