Subject: Re: UKNM: Memes and marketing
From: Ozlem Tuncil
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 12:26:00 +0100

At 07:08 03/04/00 -0700, uk-netmarketingatchinwag [dot] com wrote:
>Apropos of nothing going on in discussions to date:
>
>Has anybody come across memetic theory, wherein the
>argument is posited that ideas, like genes have an
>inherent 'desire' to propogate and replicate, and
>peoples minds are fundamentally meme incubators.

Memes will blow (up) your mind!

The memes concept has been taken up by several Internet "gurus" to predict
minds and super-minds on the Internet. In his essay "Of Man, Mind and
Machine," Joshua Lateiner writes, "If one accepts a materialist, meme-based
theory of mind, one will be forced to consider the potential for minds to
exist in media other than the human brain".

Robotics expert Hans Moravec imagines a future world in which there are
human minds and computer programs living together in cyberspace and that
they "make their living in something of a free market way, trading the
products of their labor for the essentials of life - in this world memory
space and computing cycles....the immensities of cyberspace will be teeming
with very unhuman disembodied superminds, engaged in affairs of the future
that are to human concerns as ours are to those of bacteria".

Francis Heylighen has a different view of how the global mind will develop
in his 1996 essays "Evolution of Memes on the Network: from chain-letters to
the global brain" and "From World-Wide Web to Super-Brain". He concludes,
"The end result is likely to be the emergence of a globally shared ideology,
or 'world culture', transcending the old geographical, political and
religious boundaries". The whole of humanity would support this global
ideology and individuals would be like the cells in a multicellular
organism.

But don't despair! A rejoinder from Richard Barbrook's essay "Never Mind the
Cyberbollocks":

"The meme theory is yet another attack on human subjectivity. Our complex
social development is first simplified into technological progress, then
reduced to culture, and finally explained away through the biology of memes.
Our creativity and imagination as humans is once again denied. Translated
from bio-babble, meme is simply another word for the all-powerful idea,
ideology or sign. It is the Platonic deity reborn. Yet again, we're supposed
to believe that we're simply empty vessels manipulated by mysterious outside
powers".

Ozlem

f u t u r e s c a p e i T V & N e t
c o n t e n t c o n s u l t a n c y

< www.futurescape.co.uk >
< + 44 (0)20 7256 6321 >

Affiliate Solutions Seminar - London, England
A one day seminar for Merchants and Affiliates which
focuses on Revenue Sharing and Affiliate Marketing
for the online industry. Being held April 26, 2000, at the
MayFair Inter-Continental. http://seminars.internet.com