Subject: Re: UKNM: "cybersquatter" (one for the lurking journalists)
From: Tim Ireland
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 14:24:15 +0100

From: Phil Gyford <fabiusatwell [dot] com>
> I don't know whether it's the same elsewhere (when you're in Texas, the
rest
> of the States, let alone the world, just doesn't matter) but there are
> plenty of people here who think .cc is a new tld.
>
> A radio station in Houston <http://www.thebuzz.com/> (and, I assume,
others
> owned by the same company) is promoting .cc as "the new top level domain",
> in association with <http://www.spot.cc/> - playing on the angle that
> business.com sold for x million dollars so now's your chance to get in on
> the action and register your domain (almost encouraging "cybersquatting").
> It's just like .com, they say.
>
> I find it amazing that anyone even considers this, but of course they do.
> I've seen quite a few signs for companies which include their .cc URL. And
> more than a couple of people have started going on about these new .cc
> things, completely taken in by it, and assuming that the rest of the world
> sees .cc as just like .com. It really annoys me that they can advertise it
> this way. After I stop laughing I tell them they'd be registering their
> domain as being in the Cocos Islands.

I looked into this 'cc' business very closely.

www.enic.cc (also www.enic.com) are the guys touting this and bill
themselves as 'the source for .cc domain names'.

However, most of the good generic names ('business.cc' etc.) are already
taken by a company known as 'Internet Services Corporation'.

This used to show up on the WHOIS lookup on their site, but they have since
disabled this function. Why?

Well, considering the domain name www.enic.com was registered by 'Internet
Services Corporation' I think we can quite rightly assume they are one and
the same - and I'd say many would have a few words about the
morality/legality of a registrar hoarding/speculating in this way.

Interesting, no?

Tim Ireland
www.designercity.com
www.buymybook.co.uk

Affiliate Solutions Seminar - London, England
A one day seminar for Merchants and Affiliates which
focuses on Revenue Sharing and Affiliate Marketing
for the online industry. Being held April 26, 2000, at the
MayFair Inter-Continental. http://seminars.internet.com