Subject: Re: UKNM: Free Weekends Away !!!
From: Steve Johnston
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 11:00:45 +0100

There is something about this which really bothers me.

Okay, so its a crap offer, but it's still cheaper than paying for the room
_and_ the meals - wherever you eat. It is a genuine offer, using tried and
tested techniques to get people through Thomas Cook's books and get them in
the 'weekend away' frame of mind. Maybe they will book real fee-paying
holidays next time around. Business-as-usual says that the data culled from
such an exercise is fair game, providing the customer hasn't opted out.

In our precious networked economy we are saying that opt-in is the rule, and
dammit, I agree. And god forbid any fucker who emails me without invitation.
So this old Thomas Cook stuff has really had it. Simple. So what is the new
stuff?

Oh I get it, its called permission marketing. Here you subtly change the way
you ask for the data - ' an explicit contract between the visitor and the
company ' - at which point the offer becomes utterly conditional on the
happy exchange of said data, on the understanding of the beneficial use to
which it will be put, with your permission.

Sounds pretty business-as-usual-with-a-bit-of-mind-fuck-thrown-in to me.

There is a change afoot and my balls tell me it ain't got much to do with
opting.

Steve.