Subject: Re: UKNM: Re: Portals?
From: Ray Taylor
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 10:19:11 +0100

>The BBC has invested nothing in www.beeb.com
>ICL put up all the money

People seem to keep coming up with this point on this and other lists and it
is, frankly, bollocks. If anyone at the BBC would care to prove me wrong by
showing me the accounts I will announce to the anyone who is interested that
I am wrong.

The BBC is well know for putting public money into private enterprise and
providing free advertising services to itself and its commercial operations
that the rest of the world are banned by law from using.

And another point. I am not in the business of hyping the BBC, beeb, or
anybody else.

Like other taxpayers/licence fee payers I PAY for the BBC and expect the
service to match the fees I pay. They could have achieved what that have
achieved for far less of my money in my humble, licence-payer's (ie
customer's).

RT