Subject: Re: UKNM: Search engine promotions
From: Sean Clark
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 12:25:09 +0100

One thing I've found is that your ratings will vary from week to week, so
good monitoring tools are essential to keeping your search engine entries
up-to-date. We use "Position Agent" at http://www.positionagent.com/.
This site allows you to track your position in various search engines.

As mentioned earlier, the choice of keywords and keyword combinations is
vital. For example, with the British Magazines Direct site we knew
perfectly well that we would not have much of a chance getting near the
top of the "magazines" listing in any search engine, but "british
magazines" would be more achievable.

After creating search engine pages, deleting dead links from search
engines, refining the page content and title etc. we actually achieved
number one spot in all 10 of the main search engines when searching for
"british magazines" - albeit for 1 week only (I have the screen grab!). A
couple have fallen slightly since then but all engines still put the site
on page 1.

As for how important search engines are. Well. On this site estimate that
1/3 - 1/2 of all new traffic originates via the search engine route. With
another 1/3 from promotions (a banner/keyword campaign on Yahoo US worked
well) and the remainder from personal referrals, links, off-line
promotion, reviews and so on.

What we have found, though, is that the key to keeping the traffic high
(on the British Magazines site at least) is repeat visits - once you've
got 'em (by whatever means) the trick is to keep 'em coming back. I did
some cookie analysis on this site recently and found that during any one
week over 1/3 of all visitors had been to the site before...

Oh dear, I'm starting to sound like a statistician!

Sean

sean clark | seancatheadland [dot] co [dot] uk | tel 0115 9551155
headland multimedia | www.headland.co.uk | fax 0115 9551156
cuttlefish | www.cuttlefish.com | pgr 01523 106554