Subject: Re: UKNM: Branding Hell...
From: Tim Ireland
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 11:02:22 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: Greg Crockart (Hyperlink plc) <gregathyperlink [dot] com>
To: <uk-netmarketingatchinwag [dot] com>
Sent: 12 August 1999 08:41

> Tim Ireland wrote:
>
> > 2. Funmail is fun, free and brings joy to *well* over 3,500 people,
would
> > you prefer these names were reserved for 3,500 'entrepreneurs?
>
> > 3. I didn't see *any* brown paper envelopes addressed to Nominet, the
> > suggestion of a 'special arrangement' sours your point.
>

> Funmail certainly brings me joy and happiness everyday. I am not
> *blaming* Funmail for anything, in fact I admire then greatly for having
> implemented the idea. I was pointing out the way in which control of
> domain naming policy has changed in this country (potentially for the
> better). Only a few year ago I had to fight to register a .co.uk domain
> name because the 'committee' decided that it was not representative of
> the company name (a law firm in this case). At the time a registered
> company number had to be supplied, and if the name of the registering
> company did not (in the opinion of those on the mailing list) match the
> domain name being registered it would be rejected.
>
> The 'special arrangement' I referred to was in regards to using the
> Funmail domains for anything other than e-mail (Web, FTP etc.)
>
> It is also interesting that we were all awaiting the introduction of
> .web .nom .store and so on because it was felt that all of the 'best'
> .com domains had been registered, but that's another story...
>
> cheers,
>
> Greg

Calm blue ocean, calm blue ocean.

Glad you enjoy Funmail, Greg. There are bound to be inconsistencies in a
developing industry - sorry to hear you got caught up in the early
maelstrom.

I'm hanging about for .web .firm .store etc. myself. Hey hang one - what
about '.etc' ?

A domain is born....

Tim Ireland
Senior Copywriter