Subject: Re: Re[2]: UKNM: Sega v Nintendo v Sony
From: Richard Longhurst
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 15:33:14 +0100

From: James Closs <j [dot] clossatbitBull [dot] com
> He with the best content will win. The developers will decide.

Absolutely. And they'll decide in favour of Sony, the PC and maybe develop
for other systems too. Sony delivered a massive userbase with the
PlayStation, so would a developer assume it won't with PlaySation 2? And
would you really risk your neck with Sega, a company which has constantly
shot itself in the foot and done developers and punters no favours
whatsoever over the last five years?

> Sony's current massive market dominance means nothing. This is a
notoriously
> fickle industry and Sony's current position is very flaky as it rests
purely on hype
> rather than substance.

I'd disagree with the hype rather than substance comment, but even if Sony
does drop the ball, Sega's fingers are so buttery it wouldn't be able to
pick it up. And Nintendo, as ever, will be still trying to work out a decent
UK distribution and marketing strategy.

> The quality of most PS games is very poor, even those trumpeted as
'classics'
> (e.g. Tomb Raider, Res Evil, FFVII) really suck when compared to the cream
> of the big N's output. All it takes is a few more educated consumers to
swing the
> balance, I know many people who've already moved.

Of the top 5 earners this week, four are PlayStation games - Driver, Silent
Hill, Syphon Filter and V-Rally 2 - about �1,000,000 sales between them.
Phantom Menace Racer on the N64 is fourth out of five, selling
�218,249-worth. (Figures from games industry trade mag MCV.) So where are
these people you know moving to? Not the N64. The PC? Now you're talking...

> Sony need to learn how to handle quality as well as quantity or they could
> be out of the race.

Sony need to learn how to handle quality? Surely it's the developers that
provide the quality? Driver, Silent Hill, Metal Gear Solid, Gran Turismo
2... Whichever way you cut it, PlayStation has done the business and you'd
have to pretty brave not to back PlayStation 2. After all, nobody ever got
sacked developing for Sony - but what did happen to Psygnosis...?

Richard

--
Richard Longhurst - editor, PC Format - http://www.pcformat.co.uk/
Future Publishing, 30 Monmouth Street, Bath, BA1 2BW, UK