Subject: RE: UKNM: Another one bites the dust
From: Richard Bailey
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 02:20:10 +0100

Before its time: Maybe
Workable idea: Not without some physical shop******...?....******

*******...?...********
I used to work for www.Microfinder.com run by a sharp MD Terry, he started
selling second user computers through the web site as an online buying club
(at trade prices 30% off second user retail price), early 1997. With full
stock list and on-line orders through e-mail credit card by phone only.
Terry had to step back and wait. Even now there is not really enough trade
to warrant shutting a shop to host the business online. Computers are
something that people really shop for online too; Some of the largest
sections in the auction sites.

I think with only a small % of people using the internet on a daily basis
(and fewer shopping) would you open a business that sold cosmetics without a
real world shop. I think there is a lot of ground in to be made in
marketing, sales and trust on the internet before people will use it for
buying such intimate products. You would want to smell and try such a
product first. Maybe to sell for real on the internet you need to have a
physical base for people to walk in to and handle the products. A massive
electronic Argos. Maybe a future for malls where we go home empty handed
after only buying fast food. All the products shelved up and waiting to be
looked at, then ordered at leisure. I all know with most larger items you
never seem to get the one in the shop why bother wasting all that time
stocking up shops? Because we are all selfish and want it now, I don't even
plan my food shopping. I am much more likely to buy something I have
already used seen or eaten. How is that going to work with cosmetics on
line? Avon (cosmetics) for example give away trial and cheap makeup to start
the ball rolling. Just my view and I do like shopping too much.

Thank you,

Richard Bailey
Internet Sales Executive
www.Godado.co.uk